It’s almost WSSF (World Ski and Snowboard Festival) and we’re stoked. This year we’re more than thrilled to be a partner of the event – hooray for making things local again! Together with Whistler Blackcomb we’re bringing back some of the classic WSSF events and focusing on taking the festival back to its routes. We’re prepping for a week of celebrating the community, ski and snowboard athletes and the arts at WSSF this year!
WHEN: April 10th – April 15th, 2018
WHERE: Whistler Village
TICKETS: online here.
WSSF WITH JOEY GIBBONS
As a true Whistler local, Joey Gibbons grew up attending WSSF and his passion for the event is evident by this year’s partnership. We caught up with Joey to hear his thoughts on all things WSSF past and present before the big week kicks off.
Q: What are your fondest WSSF memories?
A: Seeing the community come out to celebrate our town, especially on the big air events, photo showdowns, etc. You always run into old friends and it’s great how the festival brings everyone together. During the big air in the village combined with the music and seeing the whole village packed with people is quite special.
Q: What motivated you to get Gibbons involved in 2018 WSSF?
A: As our town grows and gets bigger it continues to be important to get the community out and enjoying the town.
Q: What are you most excited about for this years WSSF?
A: Getting the team engaged and working alongside the Whistler Blackcomb team and collaborating to bring things back to our roots. Celebrating local sports and art community.
Q: Any words of wisdom on how to best experience the festival?
A: Get out into the village. As Whistler get’s busier, locals don’t seem to get out in the village as much. Get out, get tickets, and come celebrate. Remind yourself why Whistler is such an awesome place.
Q: Any big picture goals for WSSF?
A: My only thing is that we hope to build the festival out so it becomes the world finale of everything mountain culture. A world-renowned festival.
WHAT’S GOING ON AT WSSF THIS YEAR?!
WSSF first-timer or veteran, here’s what you need to know about WSSF 2018. These tips will help you decode the schedule and plan your WSSF shenanigans accordingly.
- Tickets ALWAYS sell out, be sure to lock yours in!
- Revived after 15 years from the event archives is the Saudan Couloir Ski Race! It’s going to be rowdy, there’s no doubt there! Come watch these skiers and boarders tackle the steeps of Couloir Extreme as a freeski race of chaos!
- This year’s Pro Photographer Showdown has some BIG names to boast including Chris Burkard, Grant Gunderson, Ashley Barker, Fred Mortagne and Wildcard photographer Roberto Alegria.
- BIG AIR IS BACK! Oh, how we’ve missed this classic event! Musical entertainment from the favored Tribe Called Red and Jazzy Jeff will accompany the skiers and riders.
- New name, even radder event! Swatch Art and Soul is replacing the previously known State of the Art It’s getting a face-lift but will feature all of your favorite artists and more!
- The Kokanee Freeride Series happens nightly after the conference center events have wrapped up to ensure that the party continues – fueled by live music that is!
- The END will be the wildest night of them all – the party doesn’t stop until 4 am! The whole experience is chalked full of surprise performances, artists, and other unmentionable secrets.
- Your favorites film events Intersection and 72hr Filmmaker are here to stay and teams are already crafting their projects.
- Monster Energy’s Boarderstyle is one of the most entertaining on mountain events to watch – line up early and pick your spot to catch the madness from the sidelines.
- Mountain Life’s Multiplicity is on with a stacked line up of inspiration ready to launch you into WSSF mode on April 10th.
- Every party has an after party, here’s the list decoded. And trust me, you won’t be disappointed with big names like Cut Copy!
- End on a tropical note at the Twisted Tea Slush Cup! Registration is open to the public and costumes are encouraged.
We can’t wait for WSSF to hurry up and get here. It’s time to lock in your tickets and plan your calendar for the event of the season! What are you waiting for?!