Whistler Touch Rugby League
Whistler Touch Rugby League
The Whistler Touch Rugby League is predominantly made up of the thousands of Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis that flock to Whistler during the winter for a stint of ski bumming. The current league is co-ed and attracts players of all ages as well as many completely new to the sport. Recently, more and more Canadian’s are playing in the league as its popularity grows.
Although the two 15-minute halves appear short and relatively non-taxing from the sideline, the game is aerobically exhausting and requires rolling substitute players for most teams. There are six people on the field at anyone time, two of whom must be female. Most teams have a squad of 10, including two men and two women subs.
If you haven’t tried it enter a team or sign up as a single. It’s a great way to stay fit and meet a bunch of Whistler people. Après antics are at The Longhorn at the base of Whistler Mountain where players get a plate of free nachos with their first pint – just what you need after a good game of touch.
Fall Season Details
When: Tuesday nights, 6pm to 8.30pm
Where: Whistler Secondary School playing fields, Alpine
Start times: 6pm, 6.50pm, 7.45pm
Cost: Team fee is $400 (10 players max); $40 per individual (or over 10 ppl)
- First 12 teams to register and pay in full get a spot in the league.
- *If 12 teams sign up the league will start two weeks early, on June 2nd.
- Pending how many teams register for the season, the league will be split into Div 1. and Div 2.
- There are 6 people to the field, with a minimum of 2 girls on the field at all times.
- Weather conditions – the league organizers will make a call by lunchtime of the day of play and notify via the Facebook page. Games will be cancelled if weather makes the fields too dangerous to play on, so expect to play in light rain.
Any questions contact Steph Ball:
The Longhorn hosts the team après each week. Captains can grab food/drink tickets from Tara Geach each week. Longhorn provide one nachos and one jug of beer per team each week. The tickets can be used Tuesday night post game.
- A team must have 4 of its own players not to forfeit.
- A team will forfeit if late to their starting time by more than 5 minutes.
- Notify Tara Geach or Steph Ball before noon on game day if team needs to forfeit.
- A team can forfeit but still play a scratch match if they can field a full team from other teams.
- If you think the umpiring is inconsistent then please approach the umpire at half time.
- No jewelry, wrist bands, necklaces, rings etc should be worn during play. If they cannot be removed then they must be taped over.
- Sports shoes, preferably with sprigs or plastic cleats must be worn. No metal cleats allowed.
- Each team must choose a team colour. All players must wear the same colour top during play.
- Team fees includes one touch rugby ball per team for the season.